Blog

Why is it hard to get a power wheelchair through Medicare when TV ads make it seem so easy?

Why is it hard to get a power wheelchair through Medicare when TV ads make it seem so easy?

In 2008, Medicare increased the difficulty of the requirements necessary to obtain a power wheelchair. This was done because of the amount of false claims submitted by providers and individuals, such as the popular “Scooter Store.” In order to obtain a power wheelchair you must now provide the following documentation to support your claim:

  • It must be for in-home use only.
  • Your doctor must provide a prescription (Rx) stating that it is medically necessary for you to have a scooter or powered wheelchair within your home.
  • The prescription must state that you have limited mobility.

You must also meet the following conditions:

  • Difficulty moving on a daily basis. Daily activities such as bathing, cooking, dressing, getting in or out of bed or a chair and using the restroom are extremely difficult and a manual wheelchair, cane or crutch does not assist in improving the condition.
  • Difficulty lifting yourself up/down. You are unable to safely get on and off a manual wheelchair or scooter independently.
  • Medicare network compatibility. The doctor and provider/supplier are both in network with Medicare.
  • Completion of physical therapy. If PT is required, you must complete it. The Physical Therapist (P/T) will also determine if the powered mobility device is medically necessary after your evaluation. If not, you will not be approved and insurance will not pay.

As you can see, obtaining a powered mobility device through your insurance will not be an easy task. If you are approved for a power wheelchair, Medicare will normally pay 80% of the cost for you over a 13-month time frame. The remaining 20% (copay) will be your responsibility. For more information concerning power wheelchairs and Medicare guidelines, feel free to contact us for more information at 888-345-1780. Our expert mobility representatives will be glad to help!

Share Button

VIEW BY BLOG CATEGORY

WHAT OUR PATIENTS ARE SAYING...
“Aeroflow was wonderful when it came to helping us with our wheelchairs and lift-even showed us how to use the lift. We were very thankful for the friendly and knowledgeable service.”
WHAT OUR PATIENTS ARE SAYING...
“I was looking for a power wheelchair for my wife. Aeroflow had a great selection and they were very kind and helpful on the phone. Great people to do business with!”
WHAT OUR PATIENTS ARE SAYING...
“I recently bought a Go-GoPower Scooter from Aeroflow and couldn't be happier with its mobility and compact design. The chair is amazing and goes anywhere I want. It was a great experience!”
WHAT OUR PATIENTS ARE SAYING...
“My doc referred me to Aeroflow when I needed a sleep test, and I went back when I needed a wheelchair. The service was exceptional! Aeroflow really cares about their customers.”