By Chass Armstrong
You may realize it, but the diet that you feed your infant in their first 6 to 12 months of life could substantially impact their palate and food preferences in the future.
According to a study done by the University of Buffalo, babies who are breastfed and who eat pureed fruit and vegetables develop a taste preference for fruits and vegetables at a young age. Conversely, babies who are introduced to french fries, candy, ice cream, and other junk foods begin to develop a preference for that type of food.
These findings indicate that starting your baby on the right path for eating and living well is in your hands. People who consume higher rates of fasts food, processed sugars and other unhealthy foods have higher risks of heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and other health complications which can also lead to costly medical bills and hardships on families.
Getting your baby off to healthy start is easier than you think. Here is a short list of foods that can help your baby get on the right path to a healthy life:
- Blueberries are rich in antioxidants which can help promote your babies immune system health and also in brain function as well.
- Yogurt contains probiotics which can help strengthen your baby’s digestive system. It is also a great source of Calcium and Vitamin D which can help strengthen bones and teeth. Yogurt should be introduced after 6 months of age.
- Leafy Greens
- Kale, collard greens, spinach, and arugula are all great choices for your baby. They offer iron and folate among other vitamins and minerals.
- Aside from being simply delicious, oranges are a great source of Vitamin C which helps with immune system defense. Smaller oranges such as Clementine or Mandarin oranges are easy for babies to eat as well.
- Avocados are a great source of unsaturated fats and can be mixed well with other foods. Since their taste is mellower in contrast to other foods, it’ll be easier for your baby to eat.
- Lentils are a great sense of protein and fiber. As an added bonus they are extremely cheap and easy for your baby to eat.
We hope that these foods give you a good starting place for helping develop your babies taste for healthy and wholesome foods. If you are looking to get a breast pump so that you can nourish your baby in the healthiest way possible, please feel free to call us at 844-867-9890 or you can contact us on the web.