Aeroflow is dedicated to helping you, the patient, get the medical equipment you need. After all, it is our corporate mission: “Ensuring quality care from the first breath of life until the last; we’ll be there every step of the way.” Our most requested types of equipment are power wheelchairs and scooters. And we’ve been helping patients receive this equipment for more than ten years. But not everyone who requests an electric mobility device through insurance qualifies, and oftentimes it is because of Medicare requirements.
Medicare is a federally administered system of health insurance available to persons aged 65 and over. This is the most common insurance type for people who attempt to get a powerchair. But what many patients don’t know is that there is an evaluation and qualification process to receive a chair and have Medicare cover the costs. Here are a few notes about qualifying for a power wheelchair or scooter with Medicare:
- A patient will only be approved if the powerchair is required for use inside the home. Medicare does not cover costs if it is needed for shopping or traveling mobility assistance.
- You must have a recent mobility evaluation from your doctor. Aeroflow will follow up with you throughout the qualification process to make sure your appointment is made, and we will help you collect necessary paperwork afterwards.
- A power wheelchair is more likely to get approved over a power scooter. Recent reports have Medicare saying “no” because scooters can lead to increased back pain and are more difficult to maneuver inside the home due to wider turn radius.
- Depending on the type of equipment your doctor recommends, an evaluation must be made on the safety operation of that equipment at your home. An Aeroflow representative will set up an appointment to complete this step in the process.
- Medicare has set certain time frames for each of these steps. If something is not completed within the designated time, Medicare will deny your claim and the process must be started all over again.
But don’t be discouraged! Aeroflow Healthcare mobility service representatives are here to help you through the process and keep you informed every step of the way. If you have questions about your qualification or would like a FREE mobility consultation with Aeroflow, call 888-345-1780.