By Chass Armstrong
In their words, United Healthcare views themselves as a company that is dedicated to helping people live healthier lives, which is why they encourage those who have their insurance to receive preventative and support care services.
As far as breastfeeding support goes, United Healthcare has held steadfast to their goal. Granted, The Affordable Care Act does require insurance companies to provide breastfeeding support for new mothers, the degree and extent of that coverage does vary depending on the insurance provider. That being said, United Healthcare does provided great options for pregnant and new mothers.
As of January of 2014, United Healthcare will cover the following:
- Double Electric Breast Pump. According to their Preventative Care Services Page, United Healthcare will cover the cost of a double-electric Breast Pump. There are some stipulations however.
- The mother can only acquire said breast pump 30 days before the birth of their baby and up to 365 days after the day of the baby’s birth
- They must go through a durable medical good provider, such as Aeroflow Healthcare, to obtain the breast pump
- The mother cannot purchase her pump through a retail store such as Target, Walmart, or Babies R Us.
- Lactation Consulting. United Healthcare does offer Lactation consulting without cost sharing if it is in network. However, this would all depend on the individuals plan and they would need to consult with their United Health Care Representative.
So yes, you can get a double-electric breast pump through United Healthcare and lactation consulting as well. If you still have any questions about how to get your breast pump through insurance, Aeroflow will be happy to assist you with this process. You can give us a call at 844-867-9890, and our trained representatives will be ready to provide you with the help that you need to get your free breast pump through your United Healthcare Insurance. We look forward to hearing from you!