Each year hundreds of thousands of Americans undergo hip replacement surgery, both total and partial. First performed in 1960, hip replacement surgeries are among the most successful medical operations to date. Common among individuals who suffer from limited hip mobility; hip replacement surgeries are performed in the hundreds of thousands each year. Eager to regain mobility after a hip replacement surgery, patients must focus on their recovery as the success of any hip replacement surgery will depend in large amounts to how well they follow their doctor’s post-op instructions.
Before undergoing hip replacement surgery it is important to make proper home modifications in advance so your home will be ready to accommodate your recovery. The following items will help with your daily activities as you regain your mobility post hip replacement surgery:
- Securely fastened grab bars/handrails in your shower/bath
- Secure handrails along all stairways
- Raised toilet seat
- Shower chair for bathing
- Long-handled sponger and shower hose for easy bathing
- Dressing aids such as dressing sticks, sock aids, shoe horns, etc.
- Removal of loose carpets and electrical cord
After hip replacement surgery it is common for patients to want to speed through their recovery to regain their mobility, however it is important to heed to your doctor’s post-op schedule. Recovery from hip replacement surgery can take up to 12 weeks; here is what you need to know:
- Post hip replacement surgery you can expect to use a cane/walker for several weeks
- No kneeling, bending or jumping for the first month
- Wait until your doctor clears you to operate a motor vehicle (usually 4-6 weeks)
- Do not consume alcohol with pain medication
- Smoking will slow your healing time
- Wear elastic stockings until advised otherwise by your doctor
- Hearing clicking in your knees is normal as you heal
Your doctor will outline what you can expect when undergoing hip replacement surgery so you can prepare yourself pre and post-op for what is to come. Although you may want to take matters into your own hands and speed up your recovery to regain mobility after hip replacement surgery, it is important to stay on tract as your doctor will prescribe. Aeroflow Healthcare is committed to helping you with your mobility limitations, both pre and post hip replacement surgery. We offer a wide array of mobility aids such as grab bars and raised toilet seats here. Not to overlook, we can help you qualify for a cane or walker through insurance here. For immediate assistance give us a call at 888-345-1780; we look forward to hearing from you!