Aeroflow Breastpumps fully believes in the health benefits to both women and children through breastfeeding. We are grateful to provide our services in hopes of increasing the number of breastfed babies, and are glad to be able to supply the highest quality breast pumps and pump accessories. However, because Aeroflow Breastpumps has formed a unique partnership with Medela, one of the highest-regarded breast pump brands that also sells and markets baby bottles, we are not considered WHO Code Compliant.
What is the WHO Code?
The World Health Organization (WHO) has outlined a specific set of principles that U.S. manufacturers and companies must adhere to in order to be considered compliant.
- NO advertising of breast-milk substitutes to the public
- NO free samples to mothers
- NO promotion of products in health-care facilities
- NO company “mothercraft” nurses to advise mothers
- NO gifts or personal samples to health workers
- NO words or pictures idealizing artificial feeding, including pictures of infants on the products
- Information to health workers should be scientific and factual
- All information on artificial feeding, including the labels, should explain the benefits of breastfeeding, and the costs and hazards associated with artificial feeding
Aeroflow Breastpumps adheres to all of these criteria, and does not condone the use of infant formula in any of our products or services. However, we realize that not all women are able to naturally breastfeed without the help of a breast pump. We also realize that women who choose to go back to work shortly after they give birth, must pump milk if they intend to continue to breastfeed. In order for these women to feed their child the milk they pump, they must use a baby bottle.
Other breast pump manufacturers such as Hygeia and Ameda do not sell bottles and bottle accessories, therefore making them compliant. As Medela writes in their WHO Code Position Statement, “The WHO Code ban be difficult to interpered particuarily as it makes no mention of breastpumping and expressed milk.”
For further questions about Aeroflow Breastpump’s commitment to breastfeeding, please contact us through the web or phone today.